Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Album review

Geralda Gjergjaj

Composition#8 Draft#3

Dec 5, 2009

Under My Skin

By Geralda Gjergjaj

Avril Lavigne is a girl who was born on September 27, 1984 in Canada. Avril moved in Manhattan at 16 and she dropped out from high school because she secured a record deal. At age 18 she released her first album titled “Let Go” and inside the album she had a song named “Complicated” witch went six times platinum. Avril Lavigne is a pop-punk-rock singer and almost all of her songs are happy with a nice beat. My favorite album from Avril Lavigne is “Under My Skin” and she released this album on June 19, 2007. Under My Skin has 12 songs and she has some hard rock songs and three or four songs are rock ballads. I like this album because she released before getting too famous and she still had the rock style. I love three songs from this album because each of the songs has a meaning for me.

First song that I love is “Nobody’s Home”. This song has e great rhythm and I love the meaning a lot. I don’t know why she wrote this song. Even though I search it on internet I couldn’t find why she sung it. My thoughts about this song are that Avril is telling us a story about a girl who is very lost and confused about her life. In the chorus she has a sentence that I think there is the whole point of song” Open your eyes and look outside, find the reasons why. You’ve been rejected. All of us we have some hard times and we feel like nobody can understand us, or we feel alone in the whole word. I like the song because when I was younger sometimes I felt like the girl in this song. I believe that this girl had a really hard time, and I believe that it’s not about and I’m glad that is not for a boy, because many young girls are like disappointed or in a deep sadness because of a boy. When you are young you can’t think very clearly. I believe that this girl have some problems with her family because in the song says that she doesn’t have a place to go and that she is rejected.

The second song is Take Me away”. This song starts with a piano and develops into a rock song. The rhythm of the song is great and is 100% real rock music and Avril in this song did great vocals. I think these are the best vocals that she ever did in any of the others songs. This song is really “strong” song. This song reminds me of the first song, “Nobody’s Home”, because both of the songs have almost the same meaning. The song talks about confusion, pain, and that she feel a pain. Actually I don’t really love the lyrics so much, but the voice of the singer is really good and I like that Avril handle her voice very well. I like to listen to this song when I’m mad because it is so powerful that it makes your feelings come out. I don’t know why, but in my mind I have a gothic situation. It is hard to explain it, but in my mind I have a picture of angels and dragons fight each other. Sounds craze, but I don’t know why I have this picture in my mind.

The third song that I really love, and is one of my favorites songs ever, is the song “Slipped Away”. This song I written by Avril and she wrote it for her grandfather who died while Avril was touring all over the world. She couldn’t even say goodbye to him because she was miles away. This song doesn’t have an official video clip but when she did a tour, she sung this song in front of her fans. She sung this song with only a guitar and in the middle of the song she started crying, and you can hear that her voice starts getting wobbley because of her depression. When you hear this song, you want to cry because it is really sad. I lost my grandfather too, but I was little so I didn’t understand much. This song touch me because when I moved from Greece to the United States I thought that I never would be the same person as I was and that everything from my life die by the time I was coming here. difficult situation, but is better when someone moves away in another country from dying. When is far way you know that someday you are going to see this person again or you know that he is alive, but you know that this person is dead you know that you are never going to have e chance to see him/her again. The video that she is singing this song is really good because you can see her feeling. And I believe that a singer has to show the feelings of the song. I believe that this song is a song with many strong feelings and actually is you lost someone like a father, mother friend, if you listen to this song you are going to cry immediately. I have never lost someone because of death (except my grandfather), but when I listen to this song I want to cry.

I can rate this album with three stars because I like only the three songs, and not all of them. The music is really great and besides these three songs Avril has some other songs that are fairly good. I don’t like the whole album because I believe that some songs are not good enough (my opinion) but these three songs are great, especially the one which she wrote about her grandfather. I would recommend this album to the people who want to cry about someone who they have lost. I don’t recommend this album to the people who listen to hip-hop or heavy metal music because it is kind of slow, and it’s not the kind of the music that they like. However I sincerely believe that the song “Slipped away” can make a person cry even if this person listens to other kind of music. Well it’s not necessary to cry but the words they really can touch somebody. It’s not my favorite album but it is a pretty good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment